Cinnamon churros are delicious golden strips of deep fried dough, tossed in cinnamon sugar, what’s not to love !!!You can serve them as is or with a side of Nutella, melted chocolate or caramel sauce.
They can be whipped up in no time at all. To squeeze them into a shape you will need a piping bag with a star nozzle, most large chain supermarkets supply these.
Always use metal tongs to submerge the churros into hot oil to save any splash back burns.
1/3 cup caster sugar, plus 1 Tbsp extra
1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup plain flour
2 litres vegetable oil, to deep-fry
- Combine 1/3 cup sugar and cinnamon in a shallow plate. Place a wire rack over a baking tray. Line another baking tray with baking paper.
- Combine 1 cup water, olive oil and extra sugar in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring to the boil. Add flour all at once, stirring until it forms a ball and comes away from sides of pan. Remove from heat.
- Heat vegetable oil to 180C in a deep fryer or large, deep saucepan over high heat (test with the a small amount of the dough if it bubbles the oil is ready).
- Transfer dough to a strong fabric piping bag fitted with a 1.5cm star tube. Pipe warm dough on the lined tray into even lengths (this is up to you, long sticks, bites, S’s or U shapes).
- Carefully transfer about 4 lengths of dough to the hot oil. Cook for 3-5 mins or until churros are golden and cooked through. Use a slotted spoon or tongs to transfer churros to the wire rack to drain for 30 secs, then roll in cinnamon sugar mixture. Repeat with remaining dough and sugar mixture.
Serve churros tossed in cinnamon or if you are feeling extra wicked try some melted chocolate or Nutella !