Smooth sweetened ricotta studded with cherries, wrapped up in light and flaky filo pastry, coated in a chocolate cherry sauce each mouthful of this dessert is an exquisite pleasure.
1 375gram can cherries in syrup
300grams ricotta cheese
4tb caster sugar
3 sheets filo pastry
1tsp vanilla extract
1tsp lemon zest
2Tb white chocolate melts
¼ tsp cinnamon
50grams butter melted
Cherry sugar syrup (from canned cherries)
100grams chocolate melts
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line a baking sheet with greaseproof paper, spray with oil spray.
- In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta, vanilla, cinnamon, sugar and lemon zest, mix well. Add half cherries and stir until combine.
- Lay a piece pastry horizontal on a clean bench, brush with melted butter, lay another piece of pastry on top, continue with remaining layers of pastry.
- Form the ricotta mixture into a log. Place on the filo pastry 2cm from the top and 2cm from each side at the end horizontally furthest away from you, press white chocolate melts into the mixture. Fold the pastry towards you and either side across the centre, brush pastry with butter and roll towards you.
- Place onto baking sheet, brush with butter, bake for 15-18minutes until pastry is golden brown.
- Make the sauce while the strudel is cooking. Place the liquid from the can into a small saucepan, place on a medium heat and allow to simmer and to reduce slightly. Add cream cook for 2minutes; add chocolate keep on cooktop until melted add remaining cherries and take off the heat.
- Allow strudel to cook for a few minutes before serving. Serve strudel with lashings of sauce and ice cream if you dare.